Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Thoughts Before Leaving For England

I didn't have a computer when I was in England, so I brought a notebook and now I'm doing some retroactive blogging about the trip.  This is what was going through my mind in the airport before my flight to London.

As I prepared to leave for England on Saturday, I had mixed emotions.  On the one hand, I was very excited.  Pete and Katie were getting married.  And I would get to do some sightseeing in London and go to Wimbledon.  On the other hand, it really set in that I was going to miss my favorite day of the year in the US, the Fourth of July.  Fireworks, barbeques, beer, the John Adams miniseries on HBO, the Nathan's hot dog eating contest.  None of that for me.  Except for beer.  There would be plenty of that, but probably no good American beer.  Before leaving for the airport, I watched the Independence episode of the John Adams miniseries on DVD.  At the end of the episode, they read the Declaration of Independence.  I got emotional thinking about those words and how I was going to be in England instead of the United States on the Fourth of July.

When I got to the airport, I settled the debate on what the best fast food burger is.  It might be a small chain, but I'm giving the decisive victory to Shake Shack.  I had only had it before at Citi Field and it's been a while since I've had it there (the line is always so long).  I had it at the airport and their burger is definitely better than In-N-Out and Five Guys.  Shake Shack needs to expand.  Then I went to Buffalo Wild Wings and said my emotional good bye to Sam Adams Summer Ale.  It would be more than a week until I had my next Summer Ale.  I'd have to make the most of this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment