Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Cell Phone Shenanigans

I might have gone to my last baseball game of the season (to be determined) and I have a lot of blogging to do.  Before we get to a few games that I've been to in the last couple of weeks, we're going back in time again.  This time we're going back to 2006 to my only trip to US Cellular Field.

It was April 23, 2006.  That's what I have in my Ballpark app anyway.  Here's how I think I figured that out.  I think I remembered that it was White Sox against Twins.  It was a weekend day game (that I am sure about).  The only other possibilities based on the White Sox schedule and the Notre Dame academic calandar would have been the Blue Jays on April 15 and 16 or the Royals on May 7.  I really don't think it was the Blue Jays and I think May 7 would have been too late (finals were probably going on by then).  That gives us April 22 or 23.  April 22 was a night game, so it must have been April 23.  Notre Dame had tickets for students that I think were $5 (maybe $10) and that included a bus to the game.  It was Jon, Kyle, Wilhelm, Tim, Peters, and me.  I think that was all of my friends who attended the game.

What do I remember about the game?  Not much.  We sat up high on the third base side.  The White Sox were the reigning World Series Champions.  Baseball-Reference says it was 65 degrees, the game was two hours and 24 minutes, and it was a crowd of 38,102.  The pitching match up was Jose Contreras (who was off to a very good start to the season apparently) against Carlos Silva.  Contreras pitched eight, gave up two runs, and got the win.  The White Sox hit four home runs, including two by the Uribear.  The White Sox won 7-3.  I don't remember if we ate or drank anything at the game.  I do remember being very underwhelmed by US Cellular Field.  It was just kind of a 1991 version of Shea Stadium.  It was built just before the nice stadiums started being built (Oriole Park at Camden Yards opened a year later).  I might have taken pictures, but I didn't come across any when I was searching a memory card from my old camera for pictures of Shea Stadium and Old Yankee Stadium.

What I do remember a little bit better is what happened on the bus on the way home.  We were sitting in the front and Kyle started playing with the microphone that the bus driver can use to make announcements (I think I was sitting next to Wilhelm in the first row on one side and Kyle was in the first row on the other side, probably next to Jon).  Then I think Kyle called Peters's cell phone.  I haven't mentioned yet that Peters was with a girl that he liked.  He didn't answer and his voicemail message was played over the microphone for the entire bus to hear.  He wasn't happy about the situation.  I'm pretty sure that Peters thought either Tim or I was responsible, but we had nothing to do with it.  He thought Kyle was too nice to do something like that.  He thought wrong.  But please, if anybody who was there reads this and wants to correct me on the details, go for it.

So yeah, that's what I remember about US Cellular Field.  In my last post I mentioned my desire to get back to Wrigley Field.  If I do that, I'll probably try to schedule that trip so that I can get to both Chicago stadiums.  But of course, Wrigley Field would be the priority.  As of right now, US Cellular Field is my least favorite Major League Stadium in the United States that I've been to.  But hey, the White Sox can hope I get to a game in Oakland or Tampa.

No comments:

Post a Comment