Wednesday, July 29, 2015

No Line for Shake Shack

After thoroughly enjoying Clayton Kershaw's performance in New York, I was back at Citi Field two days later.  Vin got tickets from work.  I've sat up high for almost every game I've been to at Citi Field.  Once I sat in the Pepsi Porch and once I sat in the Caesars Club.  These seats were in the Delta Club down on the field level between the Dodgers' dugout and home plate.

Our view of the game

We were hoping to see Zack Greinke.  The birth of his son pushed him back from his start on Friday.  Unfortunately for us, he got pushed back to Sunday.  Instead, Zach Lee made his first career start (the other possible title for this post was "The Wrong Zack/h").  Lee was the 28th pick of the draft in 2010, four years after the Dodgers took Clayton Kershaw in the first round.  Matt Harvey was on the mound for the Mets.

We were able to order food from our seats.  There were people taking orders, but I was able to just order on the Ballpark app on my phone.  So I was able to order a Shack Burger from Shake Shack and have it delivered.  Shake Shack is excellent, but the line is always so long at Citi Field.  I'm pretty sure the last time I had Shake Shack was at JFK before I left for England in 2013.  After I ordered, my phone said it would be 10-15 minutes for it to be delivered.  It took 18 minutes, but it was as good as I remembered.  Vin got fries from Box Frites, which I described as being like Huntington's European Republic, but not as good.  Vin agreed with that assessment.  Later in the game, we went into the bar.  There wasn't nearly as good of a beer selection as there should have been, but they did have Sam Adams Summer Ale so it didn't really matter.  But one of my complaints with Citi Field is that they have these bars/clubs that are way too exclusive.  I mentioned in my post about Comerica Park that they had a bar on the upper level that was open to everybody.  I was able to get in and out very quickly.  We were able to get our beers quickly, but there are lots of sections that we could have been sitting in where we wouldn't have had access to some of the bars at Citi Field (and we would have missed out on the perfect summer beer which I didn't see on the upper level on Thursday night).

They really should have another Shake Shack location at Citi Field.  I only got it at this game because I didn't have to wait on line.
The bar in the Delta Club

Anyway, the game was a disaster.  Zach Lee's first inning went like this:  walk, single, single, single, line out, single, single, double play.  He gave up four runs.  Now, one of those singles would have been a double play to end the inning if not for Zach Lee trying unsuccessfully to field a ground ball that was going right to Jimmy Rollins.  If he doesn't touch it, Rollins starts the double play.  Or if he fields it cleanly, he starts the double play.  It would have saved two runs.  You can't blame him, though.  It was a natural reaction that just ended up with the worst possible result.  Lee only lasted four and two thirds and gave up seven.  The Dodgers' bullpen gave up another eight runs in three and a third.  Kelly Johnson hit a home run in his first game as a Met.  Daniel Murphy hit one as well.  Lucas Duda hit two.  Michael Conforto got his first Major League hit.  He added three more (including two doubles), finishing 4 for 4 with an RBI.  Matt Harvey gave up two runs in seven innings and was 2 for 4 with a double and two RBIs.  For the Dodgers, Jimmy Rollins homered in his third straight game.  Joc Pederson hit his first home run in a long time.  And that was all the Dodgers got.  They lost 15-2.  It was the most runs the Mets scored in two years (I think).  Their 21 hits were the most in five years.

So yeah, not a fun game to watch.  But it was good to see Vin for the first time since he got married.  Thanks Vin for the ticket, definitely the best seats I've had at Citi Field.  At least I got to see Kershaw pitch a shutout two nights before.

Vin and me both wearing Brooklyn Dodgers hats

No comments:

Post a Comment